Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Martin Parr comment

My experience of and response to Martin Parr's exhibition in Bristol is noted in my Art of Photography blog.

However, I came across an interview with him and consider this quote as worthy of note in the context of People and Place ...

Do you think your work is exploitative?


I think that all photography involving people has an element of exploitation, and therefore I am no exception. However it would be a very sad world if photographers were not allowed to photograph in public places. I often think of what I photograph as a soap opera where I am waiting for the right cast to fall into place. In more recent years I have photographed much closer where bits of people and food become part of the big picture, and one advantage of this is that it means people are less recognisable.



No comments:

Post a Comment